At Carpe Travel we work to inspire real people to explore their wanderlust; to seize the day. To seize that next adventure be it backpacking into Machu Picchu, car camping with your kids or sipping wine in Italy. We’re not waiting to see the world “someday”, because someday may never happen, but today will.
I’m Elaine Schoch (pronounced the German way – Shock), creator of Carpe Travel. I have kids, a job, a mortgage and a serious case of wanderlust. One that’s led me to Italy, Brazil, Mexico, Russia, France, Honduras, Canada and all over the United States. Over the last few years I’ve realized just how attainable traveling really is. That it can and should be done – with and without kids. And, that waiting for someday is just a missed opportunity.
How Carpe Travel Came to be…
I studied journalism and ended up doing tech PR and marketing for more than a decade before I began writing Carpe Travel. I left the corporate world in 2011 and began life as a self-employed public relations and marketing consultant. Why? I started to see life a little differently and needed to change things up. A few years earlier my dad had been diagnosed with aggressive lung cancer and died a few weeks later (yes, weeks). His “someday I’ll do this or that” never happened… He was only 55 years old.
My first “someday” happened a few months after he passed when I became a causality of the tech bubble bursting and lost my job. It was time to go somewhere. See something new. Have an experience. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately depending on how you look at it, I had just bought my first house, so I couldn’t really strap on my backpack and “take off”. So I settled for hitting New Orleans for Jazz Fest. I made my “someday” list on that trip and started making things happen when I got home. It took a few years to save the cash but by then I also had enough professional experience (and contacts) to make a living doing consulting work and travel writing.
I’m now married to “The Husband” and we have two little Princesses, Princess One and Princess Two. Our Princess Two is adopted from Russia, which has brought an entirely new culture and language into our lives. One we love to explore a lot, if not in Russia here in Colorado and where ever we can. (For my family’s privacy, I’ve chosen not to use their names but rather The Husband, Princess One and Princess Two. I do still post photos though. They can’t have it all….)
You’d think our traveling days would have slowed down, on the contrary. The Princesses are two very well traveled little people who now help map out our destinations and activities. But, there are still those “no kids allowed” trips that continue to be added to the ever growing “make it happen” list. And so we do a lot of traveling without the kids as well. I mean really, there are a lot of places one just does not want to take kids, albeit I have been known to take them to five-star restaurants and wine tastings.
On Carpe Travel I share a lot about our own travels, family travel destinations, kid-free trips, favorite gear, our favorite wine regions and tips on how to do them (with and without kids).
Stick around and I’ll show you how you can make travel more a part of your life.
Where Else Can You Find My Work?
- Adoption Today: How a Scared Little Girl Taught Me That We Can Conquer the World (page 20)
- Colorado Parent: 10 Places in Colorado to Take Your Kids (before they grow up)
- Dining Out, Denver & Boulder, Weekend Wine Tasting in Denver
- Ecophiles, The Real Cancun: A Volunteer’s Experience
- Expedia, Football Getaways in Turin
- Fox News, Good Day Colorado, Holiday Travel Made Easy
- Hipmunk, Fun in the Phoenix Desert Sun
- Johnny Jet: Travel Style
- Lenten Witness Project: Did I Dream That? Adoption, Samuel and Siberia.
- Mapping Megan: Adopting “Carpe Travel”
- Mile High Mama: Ten Travel Hacks Every Parent Should Know (and use)
- MomZetta: Genius Ways to Travel with Kids
- MomZetta: The Firsts with a New Daughter
- Motherhood Unadorned: Stress Saver Tips for Traveling with Kids
- SeeYouSoon.ca, From Family to Wine Travel, An Interview with Elaine of Carpe Travel
- SmarterTravel.com: Flying with Pets
- Suitecases and Sippycups: Colorado Mine Tours: Tips to Prepare Kids
- Suitcase Stories: Ten Tips to Help Avoid Hotel Thefts
- The North Texan, Travel Tips
- Turin Epicurean Capital, 14 Fun Facts to Know about Turin
- Travels With Baby: Puerto Rico with Kids: San Juan’s 5 Best Activities for Kids
- Trekaroo.com: A Review of YMCA of the Rockies
- Trekaroo.com: Exploring Rocky Mountain National Park with Kids
- Utrip: Five Things to Do in Turin in 24 hours
- Walking on Travels: 5 Things to do in Denver with Kids
- WearEverYouGo.com: Eight Tips for Planning the Perfect Wine Trip
- Who Needs Maps: Hangover Remedies Around the World
- YHA: Top 12 Hostelling Hacks: Tips for Travellers
- Expert Advice: 15 Travel Bloggers Share their Favorite Things to See or Do in LasVegas
Awards and Accolades
I love the online travel community and have been excited to start sharing family travel tips, wine travels and more from guest bloggers. If you’re a travel writer and are interested in contributing a guest blog post here’s how. If you’re a brand looking to have articles placed, please see the sites advertising information.