Road Trip Safety: Are You Ready For a Roadside Emergency
When I got my first car (a beautiful Ford GT) my dad handed me a green toolbox with the essential “tools” one needs in case of an emergency. He told me, “keep this in your trunk at all times, just in case.” I had no idea how to jump start a car, let alone change a tire. I still don’t. I have a cell phone and AAA, so there is no need. Right?
Nearly 20 years later I still have that green toolbox in my car. However, now I live in Colorado so I’ve had to add a few more things “just in case”. However, after being stuck on the side a mountain (in my neighborhood) during a snowstorm with my infant daughter, I upped the anny and outfitted my vehicle with a full on emergency kit.
With all the recent headlines regarding winter weather conditions, I have to ask, are you ready for a roadside emergency? Do you have an emergency kit in your car? Are you prepared if you get stranded or even if it’s a simple flat tire on the highway or a dead battery?
Most of us don’t leave the house without a cell phone so most emergencies can be solved with a simple call to a friend or roadside assistance, but bad weather or rural emergencies might need something more than a 1-800 number. AAA has compiled a list of items that should be included in an emergency auto kit and in everyone’s car. I’ve added a few of my own “just in case” items.
- Cell phone / with extra batteries / charger
- Jumper cables
- Flashlight with extra batteries – Flares or reflective triangles
- General First Aid kit
- Blanket and extra set of clothes
- Non-clumping kitty litter (this will help get your car out of mud or snow if you’re stuck)
- Winter formula window washer solvent
- Tire chains
- Non-perishable food items
- Rags or paper towels
- Rolls of quarters, dimes and nickels
- Gallon jug of water
- Ice-scraper, snow brush and snow shovel
A few more “just in case” items I don’t leave home without…
- Winter boots for myself AND my daughter
- Hat, gloves for myself AND my daughter
- Bag of toys for the kids
- Cell phone charger
- Folding snow shovel
- Hand warmer packets
How many of these things do you have these things in your car? Ever been without them and needed them?